So we came up with simple rules to get us on the right track:
- Who cooks dinner cleans up their preparation dishes and wipes down the counter.
- Who does not cook dinner cleans up the kitchen.
- Who cooks lunch or breakfast cleans up the kitchen.
- If the dishwasher is full of clean dishes the next person to cook unloads the dishwasher.
- We will not leave any dishes in the sink when we go to bed(This is the most important).
- The living areas(and playroom) will be cleaned before nap-time and bed-time(no exceptions).
- Put all trash in trashcans (required better placement of trashcans).
- Take out all full trash bags immediately and replace the bag.
- Begin recycling paper and plastic.
- No clothes will be in the washer, dryer, or baskets(except the kids clothes) when we go to bed.
- When the washer finishes put the clothes in the dryer immediately.
- When the dryer finishes take the clothes out and put them away immediately.
- When a clothes category hamper is full start the load of laundry (only if you will be around to put them in the dryer and put them away).
- Team work (critical).
- Don't be so freakin lazy (a messy house will just put you in a bad mood).